Senior New York residents face a multitude of problems. Many have been being kicked out of their rent-stabilized apartments due to being hospitalized when sent to nursing homes for rehabilitation. Others seniors have problems with bike lanes, and many have been hit by bike riders. Another big problem that seniors face is the rising cost of drug co-pays, especially for those whose incomes are just above the cutoff for assistance yet not enough to live a comfortable life in NYC. I will work hard to improve quality of life for seniors, including advocating for the following improvements:
- Push for legislation that will prevent landlords from kicking seniors out of their homes.
- Create a fund to assist seniors with financial help while rehabilitating.
- Propose legislation that will allow seniors to temporarily rent out their apartments while they’re in nursing homes.
- Create a nonprofit that will screen and monitor the renters for the seniors’ apartments.
- Have the city install caution and stop signs for bikers and at dangerous corners. Seniors or others would push a button where they’re going to cross and thereby trigger a traffic signal specifically for bike lanes to caution riders that someone is crossing the street.
- Push for legislation that would mandate jail time when a criminal attacks a senior.
- Work with major companies like CVS and Duane Reade to give senior assistance for co-pays.
- Create a nonprofit that will assist with those costs.